The cultural associations dotART and Exhibit Around APS, promoters of Trieste Photo Days festival, launches the Trieste Photo Young 2022 photographic contest, with the support of Fondazione Pietro Pittini and in collaboration with Polo Giovani Toti / PAG – Progetto Area Giovani of the Trieste municipality and Trieste PhotoLab.
» Requirements to participate
The contest is open to authors from all over the world that in 2022 are between 18 and 30 years old. Registrations is completely free, as is participation in the exhibition if selected.
The dotART association reserves the right to verify the participants’ age and to exclude participants who are not between 18 and 30 years old.
» Deadline and Registration
Registrations are open from 6 June to 17 July 2022 NEW DEADLINE!. Each author may participate with just one photography: one shot, one chance!
To upload your photo, you need to sign up on the association website my.exhibitaround.com.
Please note: once logged in on the user area, you need to fill in all fields in your personal profile about your date of birth and place of residence, otherwise you will be eliminated from the contest.
» Themes and Style
The theme is adjusted to your liking. Each participant is free to add their own style to the work, as well as to choose the photo that suits them best. We prefer street photography, architectural photography and social reportage, but we also like quality photos characterized by an original and personal gaze on the urban environment.
The competing photos will be selected by dotART, Exhibit Around APS and PAG – Progetto Area Giovani staff and then judged by a renowned jury through the voting stages described in the following point.
The jurors will be divided into groups and each group will be assigned different rounds and photos.
The photos submitted to the jury will always be accompanied by the name of the author, the title of the work and a description if there is one.
The opinion of the jury is final.
Promoters association will contact privately only the authors selected for each voting phase, which will be announced in any case on the website young.triestephotodays.com.
» Selection and Contest
The contest is divided into two parts:
- Phase 1: Group stage
- Phase 2: Knockout stage (along the lines of the World Cup)
You will be able to follow the evolution of the contest on the website young.triestephotodays.com, where the various stages of the competition will be published, and the rankings updated as the jury votes.
Group stage. A wide selection of photos, chosen by the promoters, will enter this phase.
The system will randomly distribute the photos into 16 rounds (if possible, the number of photos will be the same for each round and will vary according to the number of participants).
The jury’s vote in Phase 1 will take the first 2 photos in each group (32 photos in total) to the next phase.
This phase is a knockout stage along the lines of the World Cup. A series of matches will be played between the first and second placed photos of different groups, and the winner will be chosen by an ever-changing group of jurors.
The winning photos of each match will compete in the next phase, according to the grid: Round of 32, Round of 16, Quarterfinals, Semifinals and Final.
Voting for the Semifinals and the Final will take place live during Trieste Photo Days, where the jurors will decide the winning photo in front of the audience and in the presence of the authors.
Date and place will be announced in the aftermath.
The Fondazione Pietro Pittini, supporter of the Trieste Photo Young project, is offering several prizes:
- The four semifinalist authors will be hosted for 2 nights in Trieste, Italy, to attend the semifinals and the final
- Winner will be awarded with a € 500 Amazon gift card and a personalized trophy
- The other 3 semifinalist authors will receive a medal as equal honorable mentions
- The 32 ranked photos in the Round of 32 will be exhibited from 28 to 30 October and 5 and 6 November 2022 in the Trieste Photo Young 2022 collective exhibition at the municipal hall Arturo Fittke
- 8 young people from Friuli Venezia Giulia region selected among the finalists of the Call, will be invited to participate for free in the photography Masterclasses that will take place during the Trieste Photo Days
- certificate of participation for the 32 ranked photos
Moreover, our partner PhotographyCourse.net will give away:
- 4 of his Black & White Photography mini-courses
The 32 photos ranked in the Round of 32 will be exhibited from the 28 to 30 October and 5 to 6 November 2022 at the “Arturo Fittke” hall, in the heart of Trieste.
The exhibition will also host a selection of works by authors under 30 from other photographic projects carried out by the promoters.
- 06/06/2022: opening date for registrations
- 17/07/2022: closing date for registrations
- July 2022: publication of the Groups
- July 2022: publication of the final ranking of the Groups + the bracket of the Round of 32
- September 2022: publication of the Round of 16 bracket
- October 2022: publication of the Quarterfinals bracket
- 28/10/2022: opening of Trieste Photo Young exhibition
- (Date to be defined 28-30/10/2022): Semifinals and Final live at Trieste Photo Days
» Trieste Photo Days Catalogue
A selection of the competing photos will become part of the Trieste Photo Days 2022 festival catalogue. Unless otherwise specified, there will be no free copies for the authors. All authors will receive a digital copy of the book in pdf format, which will also be published on Issuu.
» Photo guidelines
- We accept both colour and black-and-white photos.
- Post-production is allowed.
- Photos with signatures, watermarks, frames, or markings visible on the image won’t be allowed.
- Photos or images deemed offensive are not allowed, in accordance with the sensitivity and indisputable judgement of the jury.
» Technical characteristics of the images
- Jpg format
- RGB colour method
- Each individual file must be less than 9 MB
- Smallest side’s minimum size: 2000 px / Longest side’s maximum size: 6000 px
- The file name (filename.jpg) must not contain any special characters (accent marks, apostrophes, symbols, etc.).
Each photographer retains the moral rights and intellectual property rights to their photos. Each author grants the dotART / Exhibit Around APS associations the non-exclusive right to use the winning/selected images to promote/advertise the non-profit activities of the association, subject to official notification to the author (whose name will always be attributed to the work).